Dear Parents and Carers
Re: URGENT Update on COVID-19 Coronavirus
Dear Parents and carers,
I am writing to update you on the current advice regarding the Covid 19 Corona Virus.
The latest advice from the DfE and Manchester Local Authority builds on the advice issued by the prime Minister yesterday.
Government advice is that those who are at increased risk of severe illness from coronavirus (COVID-19) to be particularly stringent in following social distancing measures.
This group includes those who are:
Anyone – including children - under 70 with an underlying health condition listed below
- chronic (long-term) respiratory diseases, such as asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), emphysema or bronchitis
- chronic heart disease, such as heart failure
- chronic kidney disease
- chronic liver disease, such as hepatitis
- chronic neurological conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, motor neurone disease, multiple sclerosis (MS), a learning disability or cerebral palsy
- problems with your spleen – for example, sickle cell disease or if you have had your spleen removed
- a weakened immune system as the result of conditions such as HIV and AIDS, or medicines such as steroid tablets or chemotherapy
- being seriously overweight (a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or above)
- those who are pregnant
As you know I have been meeting regularly with the leadership team and school staff regarding the actions we need to take to safeguard the school community.
The new advice today has meant that the percentage of staff absence has significantly escalated as staff may be parents or carers themselves and need to support those in their own families by self isolating.
Currently the school will stay open and Breakfast Club will open as normal at 7:45am
Classes may be combined and we will have larger pupil to staff ratios in order to stay open.
Home Working for pupils who are in isolation
- For pupils self isolating the website pages for each class have been updated so that there is a range of curriculum activities for pupils to access age appropriate work.
- Tomorrow all pupils will be given a home learning log that can be used alongside, or instead of, access to online activities. Please keep this safely at home in the event of self isolation or school closure.
- For those who are already self isolating, if you would like someone to collect this for your child please let the office staff know and we will arrange for this to be available for collection.
- If you have no stationery at home we can arrange a small stationery pack for you, again please let the office staff know and we will ensure this is sent home with the learning log or available for you to collect.
School Lunch for pupils who are on Free School Meals and in isolation.
- From Thursday those pupils self isolating can arrange to collect a lunch from the school by prior arrangement with the school office. You MUST let us know the previous day if you want to collect a lunch for your child and we will need to know by 1 pm at the very latest. This arrangement may change – we are awaiting an update from Manchester City Council and the DfE regarding this.