Welcome to the wonderful world of Year 5C!!
P.E day - Wednesday (inside and outside) *
*(First 5 weeks of half term we have Taekwondo on Monday afternoons)
Class Assembly - Tuesday 6th February
HAPPY NEW YEAR!! I hope you all had plenty of rest and had an enjoyable festive period!
On our class page you will be able to find information about this half term's learning.
At the bottom of this page I have attached this years topic overview, homework and spelling sheets.
During our English lessons this term, we will be looking at biographies, letter writing, short suspense stories and diary extracts studying narratives such as Coming Home and Macbeth. We will be looking at key narrative features and how writing as the reader (understanding audience and purpose) has a huge impact on writing. We will be working on developing our vocabulary understanding and how well-chosen words can play a huge part in writing success. We will also be focusing on sentence structures and how to use them and manipulate them for effect. SPaG skills are embedded into all our English lessons.
Some of the writing objectives we will be looking at are:
- using paragraphs to organise ideas
- using simple devices to structure non-narrative writing e.g. headings, subheadings, bullet points
- writing for a range of purposes
In Guided Reading, we will be looking at a range of fiction, non-fiction and poetry texts.
This half term in Maths, we will begin with our Fractions unit where we will recap prior learning from Year 4 before moving on to our Year 5 objectives. Some of the new objectives we will cover during this unit are:
Don't forget a really easy way to practice your times tables at home is by using TT Rockstars. Knowing your times tables up to 12x12 helps with a lot of different topics in Maths - especially fractions!
Here are some useful websites:
Our Topic for this half term is ‘Live Simply’. During this unit we will be discussing what living simply means and how it can help our planet. We will also research the use of fossil fuels and how they are created and discuss the effects of Global Warming. Additionally, we will investigate the effect of pollution on wildlife around the world and write about why our Earth needs to be protected and explore ways in which we can help. Also, we will create a Greta Thunberg biography and campaign about pollution and litter in our local environment.
Our Science topic for this half term is ‘Light’. During this unit, we will be learning to:
Our RE topic for Spring 1 is Local church: Community. In this topic we will be investigate the variety of books within the Bible and understand the importance of the Holy Scriptures. Furthermore, we will be researching the Hebrew Scriptures and exploring the requirements of a strong community.
PSHE and Mindfulness
PSHE and Mindfulness
Interweaved throughout all of our topics is the importance of self-care and reflection. At home we encourage you to use a journal to write down our thoughts, feelings and emotions which is key to regulating how we are throughout each day like we do in class. Additionally, we will post some online meditation and yoga you can practice at home.
Homework- Here are the Home Learning tasks that pupils should complete each week. If you need any support accessing these resources, please do not hesitate to contact me.
1) Reading - Pupils should be reading for 10-15 minutes every night. Pupils can change their books as and when they need to in the Class Library or the KS2 Library. Year 5/6 pupils are welcome to bring in books from home. Please help your child to record their reading in their Reading Record. Listening to your child read can support their fluency, develop their comprehension skills, and help them to progress.
https://schoolreadinglist.co.uk/reading-lists-for-ks2-school-pupils/suggested-reading-list-for-year-5-pupils-ks2-age-9-10/ Here are some recommended reads - how many of these books have you read?
2. Reading Eggs – Children have a weekly comprehension assignment to complete on Reading Eggs.
Reading eggs makes learning to read interesting and engaging for kids, with great online reading games and activities. Children love the games, songs, golden eggs and other rewards which, along with feeling proud of their reading, really motivate children to keep exploring and learning.
3. My Maths - Children have a weekly assignment to complete on MyMaths that will help them to practise the skills we have been learning in school.
Pupils can also access Mathseeds (using their Reading Eggs login) and TT Rockstars for fluency practice.
4. Spellings – practice daily
Pupils have 10 spellings to learn per week, on which they will be tested every Friday. A copy of the spellings is available below.
5. Learning logs – In Autumn 2 (November - December), pupils will have a home learning project to complete. At the end of the half-term, they will bring in their project to share and celebrate with their peers.
Well done on reaching the bottom of the Year 5 Class Page.
A prize* to the first pupil who tells Mr Clare the answer to this tricky riddle: What begins with T, ends with T and has T in the middle??? *Disclaimer: the prize may not be of a high quality!