PE Day - Thursday
Welcome to Year 6S!
Welcome back, I hope you all had a wonderful summer holidays and are feeling well rested ready for your final year in Primary School! We have lots to look forward to this year in Year 6 and I am looking forward to getting to know you all!
On this page, you will find information about any keys dates such as, PE days and assemblies, as well as lots of information about what we will be learning about in each subject this half term. There are also lots of useful links to help you with your learning.
Here are some useful reminders and links to web pages for you:
Class Teacher: Miss Shotton
During our English lessons this half term, we are going to be beginning with a focus linked to our mental health and well-being. We will be using a range of materials to gather ideas, such as 'Inside out', 'The colour monster' and 'Paddington'. Our final piece of writing will be a non-chronological report about our mental health and well being and how we can look after it, both at school and at home. Some of the Year 6 writing objectives we will be focussing on are:
- Use paragraphs to organise ideas
- Use simple devices to structure non-narrative writing e.g. headings, subheadings, bullet points
- Writing for a range of purposes
We will continually be revising all our Year 6 reading skills through our guided reading sessions this year. This half term, we will be focussing on:
- Using the context of a sentence to work out the meaning of a word
- Reading aloud with intonation that shows understanding
- Make predictions based on details that have been read
This half term in Maths, we will begin with our place value unit. We will start by recapping our Year 5 objectives before building on these week by week. Some of the objectives we will cover in this unit are:
Here are some useful websites:
Our Science topic for this half term is 'Earth and Space'. It is a very exciting topic with lots of interesting facts to be learnt! Some of the objectives we will cover are:
Our Topic for this half term in 'The Vikings'. Throughout this unit, we will be:
- Using a timeline to sequence events from the past
- Comparing and contrasting different Viking Gods
- Giving an overview of life in Britain during the Viking rule
- Discussing the similarities and differences between the rights of children today and those of Viking children
- Comparing and contrasting law and justice during the rule of the Vikings with modern day punishments
Throughout the unit we will also have opportunities to develop our writing skills further by writing about significant events from the past.
PSHE and Mindfulness
Inter weaved throughout all of our topics is the importance of self-care and reflection. At home we encourage you to use a journal to write down our thoughts, feelings and emotions which is key to regulating how we are throughout each day like we do in class. Additionally, we will post some online meditation and yoga you can practice at home.
Here are the Home Learning tasks that pupils should complete each week. If you need any support accessing these resources, please do not hesitate to contact me.
1) Reading - Pupils should be reading for 10-15 minutes every night. Pupils can change their books as and when they need to in the Class Library or the KS2 Library. Year 6 pupils are welcome to bring in books from home. Please help your child to record their reading in their Reading Record. Listening to your child read can support their fluency, develop their comprehension skills, and help them to progress.
2. Reading Eggs – Children have a weekly comprehension assignment to complete on Reading Eggs.
Reading eggs makes learning to read interesting and engaging for kids, with great online reading games and activities. Children love the games, songs, golden eggs and other rewards which, along with feeling proud of their reading, really motivate children to keep exploring and learning.
3. My Maths - Children have a weekly assignment to complete on MyMaths that will help them to practise the skills we have been learning in school.
Pupils can also access Mathseeds (using their Reading Eggs login) and TT Rockstars for fluency practice.
4. Spellings – practice daily
Pupils have 10 spellings to learn per week, on which they will be tested every Friday. A PDF copy of the spellings is available below.
5. Learning logs – In Autumn 2 (November - December), pupils will have a home learning project to complete. At the end of the half-term, they willl bring in their project to share and celebrate with their peers.