PE Day - Thursday
Welcome to Year 6S!
Happy New Year! I hope you all had a wonderful break with your families and are ready for an exciting new half term.
On this page, you will find information about any keys dates such as, PE days and assemblies, as well as lots of information about what we will be learning about in each subject this half term. There are also lots of useful links to help you with your learning.
Here are some useful reminders and links to web pages for you:
Class Teacher: Miss Shotton
We will begin our English lessons this half term by looking at the story of 'Macbeth'. We will be looking at key narrative features and how writing as the reader (understanding audience and purpose) has a huge impact on writing. We will be working on developing our vocabulary understanding and how well-chosen words can play a huge part in writing success. We will also be focusing on sentence structures and how to use them and manipulate them for effect. SPaG skills are embedded into all our English lessons.
Some of the writing objectives we will be looking at are:
- Writing for a range of purposes
- Describe settings and characters in a narrative
- Extend vocabulary choices
We will continually be revising all our Year 6 reading skills through our guided reading sessions this year. This half term, we will be focusing on:
- Using the context of a sentence to work out the meaning of a word
- Retrieving key details from a text
- Make predictions based on details that have been read
This half term in Maths, we will begin by completing our fractions unit, before moving onto understanding decimals and percentages. Some of the objectives we will cover this half term are:
Here are some useful websites:
Our Science topic for this half term is ‘Light’. During this unit, we will be learning to:
Our Topic for this half term is ‘Live Simply’. During this unit we will be discussing what living simply means and how it can help our planet. We will also research the use of fossil fuels and how they are created and discuss the effects of Global Warming. Additionally, we will investigate the effect of pollution on wildlife around the world and write about why our Earth needs to be protected and explore ways in which we can help. Also, we will create a Greta Thunberg biography and campaign about pollution and litter in our local environment.
Our topic in RE this half term is 'Lent'. We will be learning about the holy season of Lent, Holy Week and Easter, and the suffering of Jesus during this time.
PSHE and Mindfulness
Inter weaved throughout all of our topics is the importance of self-care and reflection. At home we encourage you to use a journal to write down our thoughts, feelings and emotions which is key to regulating how we are throughout each day like we do in class. Additionally, we will post some online meditation and yoga you can practice at home.
Here are the Home Learning tasks that pupils should complete each week. If you need any support accessing these resources, please do not hesitate to contact me.
1) Reading - Pupils should be reading for 10-15 minutes every night. Pupils can change their books as and when they need to in the Class Library or the KS2 Library. Year 6 pupils are welcome to bring in books from home. Please help your child to record their reading in their Reading Record. Listening to your child read can support their fluency, develop their comprehension skills, and help them to progress.
2. Reading Eggs – Children have a weekly comprehension assignment to complete on Reading Eggs.
Reading eggs makes learning to read interesting and engaging for kids, with great online reading games and activities. Children love the games, songs, golden eggs and other rewards which, along with feeling proud of their reading, really motivate children to keep exploring and learning.
3. My Maths - Children have a weekly assignment to complete on MyMaths that will help them to practise the skills we have been learning in school.
Pupils can also access Mathseeds (using their Reading Eggs login) and TT Rockstars for fluency practice.
4. Spellings – practice daily
Pupils have 10 spellings to learn per week, on which they will be tested every Friday. A PDF copy of the spellings is available below.
5. Learning logs – In Autumn 2 (November - December), pupils will have a home learning project to complete. At the end of the half-term, they willl bring in their project to share and celebrate with their peers.