PE Day - Thursday
Welcome to Year 6S!
Welcome back to our new term! I hope you had a brilliant Christmas and a well-deserved rest. We have an exciting Spring term planned!
On this page, you will find information about any keys dates such as, PE days and assemblies, as well as lots of information about what we will be learning about in each subject this half term. There are also lots of useful links to help you with your learning.
Here are some useful reminders and links to web pages for you:
Class Teacher: Miss Shotton
During our English lessons this half term, we are going to begin by using our persuasive writing skills to create a travel brochure for Japan. Later in the half term, we are going to be focusing on what we have learnt in our Topic lessons, using the text 'Viking Boy' as a base for our writing. Some of the key year 6 objectives we will be focusing on this half term are:
- Using paragraphs to organise ideas
- In narratives, describing characters, settings and atmosphere
- Using a range of devices to build cohesion e.g. adverbials of time, conjunctions and pronouns
- Writing for a range of purposes
We will continually be revising all our Year 6 reading skills through our guided reading sessions this year. This half term, we will be focusing on:
- Using the context of a sentence to work out the meaning of a word
- Reading aloud with intonation that shows understanding
- Make predictions based on details that have been read
This half term in Maths, we will begin our decimals and percentages unit. Some of the objectives we will cover this half term are:
Here are some useful websites:
Our Science topic for this half term is Forces. In this topic, some of the objectives we will be covering are:
- Explore falling objects and how air resistance affects them
- Explore the effects of friction on moving objects
- Explore the effects of levers, pulleys and simple machines on movement
- Learn about the force of gravity and how the work of Galileo and Newton shaped our understanding of it.
Our Topic for this half term is 'The Maya'. During this unit, we will:
- Understand who the Maya were and where and when in the world they lived
- Compare the chronology of the Maya with that of other civilisations we have learnt about
- Learn about ancient Mayan culture, including food, art and the Mayan number system
- Consider a variety of perspectives on the mysterious decline of the Maya
- Use evidence to justify our views and form judgements on why the Maya civilisation declined
During Spring 1, we will be focussing on the topic 'Local Church - Mission'. We will be learning about the structure of the Church, and the role of priests, deacons and bishops within it. We will also find out about other Christian denominations and explore the similarities and differences between our beliefs and how we put our faith into practice.
PSHE and Mindfulness
Inter weaved throughout all of our topics is the importance of self-care and reflection. At home we encourage you to use a journal to write down our thoughts, feelings and emotions which is key to regulating how we are throughout each day like we do in class. Additionally, we will post some online meditation and yoga you can practice at home.
Here are the Home Learning tasks that pupils should complete each week. If you need any support accessing these resources, please do not hesitate to contact me.
1) Reading - Pupils should be reading for 10-15 minutes every night. Pupils can change their books as and when they need to in the Class Library or the KS2 Library. Year 6 pupils are welcome to bring in books from home. Please help your child to record their reading in their Reading Record. Listening to your child read can support their fluency, develop their comprehension skills, and help them to progress.
2. Reading Eggs – Children have a weekly comprehension assignment to complete on Reading Eggs.
Reading eggs makes learning to read interesting and engaging for kids, with great online reading games and activities. Children love the games, songs, golden eggs and other rewards which, along with feeling proud of their reading, really motivate children to keep exploring and learning.
3. My Maths - Children have a weekly assignment to complete on MyMaths that will help them to practise the skills we have been learning in school.
Pupils can also access Mathseeds (using their Reading Eggs login) and TT Rockstars for fluency practice.
4. Spellings – practice daily
Pupils have 10 spellings to learn per week, on which they will be tested every Friday. A PDF copy of the spellings is available below.
5. Learning logs – In Autumn 2 (November - December), pupils will have a home learning project to complete. At the end of the half-term, they willl bring in their project to share and celebrate with their peers.