PE Day - Thursday
SATs boosters for Year 6 children begin on Tuesday 7th March and will run every Tuesday and Wednesday until Tuesday 2nd May from 3:15-4:15.
Tuesday - English (Reading & SPaG)
Wednesday - Maths
Welcome to Year 6S!
Welcome back to our new term! I hope you had lovely Easter break with your families and are well rested for our next half term.
Key Dates for Summer 1
Tuesday 25th April - Friday 28th April - Mock SATs week
Friday 5th May - Kings coronation celebrations
Tuesday 9th May - Friday 12th May - SATs week.
On this page, you will find information about any keys dates such as, PE days and assemblies, as well as lots of information about what we will be learning about in each subject this half term. There are also lots of useful links to help you with your learning.
Here are some useful reminders and links to web pages for you:
Class Teacher: Miss Shotton
During our English lessons this half term, we will be continuing our learning based on 'Mayor Bunny's Chocolate Town'. In our recent lessons, we have been discussing the characters thoughts and feelings during different parts of the story, the differences in each of the characters and their motives for wanting to be mayor. We will continue these lessons by focussing on the features of persuasive speeches before ending the unit by writing in character as Mayor Bunny and Debbie.
- Using paragraphs to organise ideas
- In narratives, describing characters, settings and atmosphere
- Using a range of devices to build cohesion e.g. adverbials of time, conjunctions and pronouns
- Writing for a range of purposes
We will continually be revising all our Year 6 reading skills through our guided reading sessions this year. This half term, we will be focusing on:
- Using the context of a sentence to work out the meaning of a word
- Reading aloud with intonation that shows understanding
- Make predictions based on details that have been read
This half term in Maths, we will be focussing mainly on revision of some of our key skills in preparation for our SATs and we will also be completing our Shape unit. Some of the objectives we will cover this half term are:
Here are some useful websites:
Our Science topic for this half term is 'Animals Including Humans'. We will start off this topic by describing the stages of human development. We will also be looking at how babies grow and develop and identifying the changes that take place during old age. Finally we will conduct an experiment to measure human growth and compare the development of animals to humans.
Our Topic for this half term is 'The Industrial Revolution'. We will be looking at how this impacted Manchester as a city and comparing Manchester now to before and during The Industrial Revolution. Some key objectives we will cover this half term are:
Our Topic in RE for Summer 1 is Pentecost - Transformation. We will begin by exploring and understanding what it means to live a life of service. We will then look in detail at the story of Pentecost and understand and explain the different symbols used for the Holy Spirit. We will also relate the power of the Holy Spirit to other more modern 'people of courage'. Finally we will compare what happened to Saul to a life changing experience of our own.
PSHE and Mindfulness
Inter weaved throughout all of our topics is the importance of self-care and reflection. At home we encourage you to use a journal to write down our thoughts, feelings and emotions which is key to regulating how we are throughout each day like we do in class. Additionally, we will post some online meditation and yoga you can practice at home.
Here are the Home Learning tasks that pupils should complete each week. If you need any support accessing these resources, please do not hesitate to contact me.
1) Reading - Pupils should be reading for 10-15 minutes every night. Pupils can change their books as and when they need to in the Class Library or the KS2 Library. Year 6 pupils are welcome to bring in books from home. Please help your child to record their reading in their Reading Record. Listening to your child read can support their fluency, develop their comprehension skills, and help them to progress.
2. Reading Eggs – Children have a weekly comprehension assignment to complete on Reading Eggs.
Reading eggs makes learning to read interesting and engaging for kids, with great online reading games and activities. Children love the games, songs, golden eggs and other rewards which, along with feeling proud of their reading, really motivate children to keep exploring and learning.
3. My Maths - Children have a weekly assignment to complete on MyMaths that will help them to practise the skills we have been learning in school.
Pupils can also access Mathseeds (using their Reading Eggs login) and TT Rockstars for fluency practice.
4. Spellings – practice daily
Pupils have 10 spellings to learn per week, on which they will be tested every Friday. A PDF copy of the spellings is available below.
5. Learning logs – In Autumn 2 (November - December), pupils will have a home learning project to complete. At the end of the half-term, they willl bring in their project to share and celebrate with their peers.